9/21/12

How to Make Chocolate Curls

 
First of all Happy Fall to you all as it arrives tomorrow about mid-morning!!! Ah I just love this time of the year with the air becoming cooler and the leaves changing and falling off the trees. Time to start making your favorite chilies and stews, and for me to start doing a bit more in the way of baking.
 
Well you know how you see all those wonderful cakes in the bakery, or these days in grocery stores like Wegmans, and they have the most beautiful chocolate curls on top...wouldn't you love to decorate your next dessert with some of your own homemade chocolate curls? I know I would, so I googled a few ways of making these curls and the technique I decided to try I found over at the blog The Tasty Kitchen.
 
 
Now let's see how The Tasty Kitchen went about making these pretty little curls.

 
First off you need some dark or semi-sweet chocolate, and a tablespoon of shortening. I used 3 ounces of chocolate.
 
Put it in a microwave safe dish and pop into the microwave for about 30 seconds. (If you keep your shortening in the frig like I do you may need to nuc it for another 10 - 20 seconds.) Stir it with a fork until smooth and then pour the chocolate out onto the back of a baking sheet.
 
 
Spread the chocolate out as thin as possible on the baking sheet (This is the key to this technique according to The Tasty Kitchen.)and then pop it into the freezer for 2 minutes.
 
Pull it out and let stand for a minute or two. Then with the back of a pancake flipper, start to roll the chocolate. If the chocolate breaks and crumbles it means that the chocolate is too cold, so just let it sit a little longer and try again. On the other hand if the chocolate stops curling up it may be too warm, so just throw it back into the freezer for another minute and try again.
 
 
Use what you need and then put the remainder into a zip-lock baggie and keep in the freezer until you want to use them again.
 
Now what am I going to make that I can garnish with my fancy chocolate curls?
Better yet what would you make? I'd love to know!!! :D
 
Have a great weekend all!!!
If you like this post please vote for 21 Rosemary lane by
clicking on the picket fence below.
 
 
Thank you!!!

Linking up to the following parties...
Cheerios and Lattes
Days of Chalk and Chocolate
It's Overflowing

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara. I saw this done on the Barefoot Contessa but never tried it. My ideal would be a devil's food cake, with whipped cream as frosting and the curls. Oh boy! Would be pretty AND taste good..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they ship well? Hee Hee
    I am planning a pre Homecoming Dance dinner for my daughter and some of her friends.... will have to try this!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.